Welcome to Heart of the Sky Fair Trade
Welcome to the Heart of the Sky Fair Trade website! Thank you so much for your support.
I began importing fair trade textiles and jewelry from Guatemala as a way to improve the lives of people that I had met while I was in Guatemala volunteering as a human rights observer. For more information about me and my story please click above on the 'Learn About Us' link.
All of the products listed are from Guatemala unless otherwise noted. Can't find what you need? Contact me and I'll do my best to point you in the right direction. (The fair trade Guatemala import circle is very close. We are about collaboration, not competition.)
'Fair trade,' at the core, is a simple, straight-forward concept: pay people fairly for their labor and their lives will improve. When artisans and farmers are paid fairly extraordinary changes in their lives occur. They can stockpile a few months worth of beans and corn in case the next crop fails. (Imagine the relief of not having to worry about whether or not your family will go hungry!) They can put a tin roof on their house before the rainy season hits. They can afford transportation so their kids can go to the neighboring village where the traveling nurse is giving diptheria boosters. They can dig a well so they have a consistent source of water. They don't have to risk their lives coming to the US to slaughter our chickens and pick our strawberries. They have hope. They can envision a better life. They HAVE better lives.
My experience has been that true community development has to involve women. That is why my products come from women's cooperatives and small scale family run businesses. This is not charity. These are mutually beneficial partnerships based on respect, dignity, and transparency.
Where can you see Heart of the Sky Fair Trade products in person?
1. May 11th at the Portage County Cultural Festival in Stevens Point, Wisconsin.
2. May 12th at my place in Spring Green, Wisconsin for a fundraiser to benefit The Network In Solidarity With The People Of Guatemala. (E-mail me for more info.)
3. May 18th at the Farmer's Market in Spring Green, Wisconsin.
4. May 19th at the WORT Block Party in Madison, Wisconsin.
5. June 8th and 9th at the Waterfront Festival in Madison, Wisconsin.
6. June 21st-23rd at the Midwest Renewable Energy Association Fair in Custer, Wisconsin.
7. I don't have a physical store, but if you are in the southwest Wisconsin area and want to do some shopping in person, great! Just give me a call (608-588-5223) and we'll arrange something. (I live about 45 minutes west of Madison.)
8. Host a Fair Trade Fundraiser. (Click on the link at the left for details.)
9. If you think my products would be a good match for your local co-op, gift shop, etc, let me know and I'll send out my wholesale information.
Thank you for supporting human rights by supporting fair trade. Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or comments. My e-mail address is email@example.com and my phone number is 608-588-5223.